PLC SIMATIC S7-400
The most powerful Automation System within SIMATIC.
Superb communication capability and integrated interfaces make the SIMATIC S7-400 process controller ideal for larger tasks such as the coordination of entire systems.
The graded range of CPUs enables scalable performance and the capacity for I/O periphery is virtually unlimited. What’s more, process controller signal modules can be inserted and removed while the system is live (hot swapping), making it very easy to expand the system or replace modules.
A graded CPU range with a wide performance range is available for configuring the controller.
The product range comprises 7 standard CPUs,
7 compact CPUs, 5 fail-safe CPUs and 3 technology CPUs.
The CPUs are available from a width of only 40 mm
SIMATIC S7-300 is within Totally Integrated Automation the most sold Controller.
Typical areas of application
- The S7-400 is especially suitable for data-intensive tasks in the process industry. High processing speeds and deterministic response times guarantee short machine cycle times on high-speed machines in the manufacturing industry.
- The S7-400 is used preferably to coordinate overall plants and to control lower-level systems. This is guaranteed by the high communication power and the integral interfaces.
- Many of the S7-400 components are also available in a SIPLUS version for extreme environmental conditions.
- Automotive industry
- Standard mechanical equipment manufacture incl. custom mechanical equipment manufacture
- Warehousing systems
- Building engineering
- Steel industry
- Power generation and distribution
- Paper and printing industries
- Textile manufacture
- Food and beverages industries
- Process engineering, e.g. water and wastewater utilities
- Chemical industry and petrochemicals
- The power of the S7-400 is scalable thanks to a graded range of CPUs; the capacity for I/O is almost unlimited.
- The power reserves of the CPUs enable new functions to be integrated without further hardware investment, e.g. processing of quality data, user-friendly diagnosis, integration into higher-level MES solutions or high-speed communication via bus systems.
- The S7-400 can be structured in a modular way; there is a widely varied range of modules available both for centralized configurations and distributed structures. This results in very cost-effective spare parts handling.
- The configuration of the distributed I/O of the S7-400 can be modified during operation (Configuration in Run). In addition signal modules can be removed and inserted while live (hot swapping). This makes it very easy to expand the system or replace modules in the event of a fault.
- The storage of the complete project data including symbols and comments on the CPU simplifies service and maintenance calls.
- Safety engineering and standard automation can be integrated into a single S7-400 controller; plant availability can be increased through the redundant structure of the S7-400.
- Many of the S7-400 components are also available in a SIPLUS version for external environmental conditions, e.g. extended temperature range (-25?+60°C) and for use where there is aggressive atmosphere/condensation.
- The high-speed backplane bus of S7-400 ensures efficient linking of central I/O modules